Sunday, September 14, 2014

Transferring a Monogram onto Wood

Hello everyone! I have been packing like crazy over this past week because I move in on Tuesday 9/16! I can't wait to finally start school! So this post will teach you how to transfer a monogram onto a wooden surface! Liz and I made cups like these for our dorm because she likes coffee and I like tea. However, we found out that we have a THIRD roommate! Her name is Cody, and I decided to make her one of these cups as well. I used her cup to make this tutorial!
  

Materials:

  • Wooden surface
  • Pencil
  • Paint pen
  • Computer
  • Printer

Steps:

  1.  Go onto http://forchicsake.com/printable-monogram/ and follow the instructions on how to print your custom monogram. This is the website I used for mine, and it was very easy!
  2. Cut all of the extra paper off, so that you only have the rectangle with the monogram inside.
  3. Use a pencil to draw on THE BACK of the paper. I found that holding the pencil on its side made the process go faster, and it also resulted in a smoother layer of lead.
    
  4. Flip the paper over and center it in the middle of your surface. Tape the sides down if you think it would be easier to manage!
  5. Using the tip of the pencil, press down firmly along the lines of the monogram. Basically just trace the whole thing!
  6. You have pressed the pencil lead from the other side onto the surface, so this is what it should look like:
  7. Now you have a stencil of your monogram! The next step is just to fill in the design with a paint pen. Be careful of the pen dripping onto your surface (I learned the hard way)! By the end of it, I decided the best way to paint with the pen was to press the pen down on the monogram paper to get the flow going, and then to use that paint to cover the surface. Sometimes pushing the pen on the wood would result in a puddle of paint, which is hard to work with, especially with some of the smaller lines!
Now you are done! Woo hoo!
 


I hope you all enjoyed my post! Please share your monogram creations with us!

Bisous,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment