Friday, September 19, 2014

DIY Monogram Pillow

Hello all! So if any of you read my last post about my DIY Duvet Cover, you'll remember how many little tassels I made. (around 240!) I had a good amount extra left over, and I wasn't going to let any tassel go unused! I thought it might be a good idea to make an accent pillow, but I didn't want it to be just plain white or more polka dots. I've always liked monograms, and this seemed like the perfect way to incorporate some personalization into my dorm.

Materials

  • Black Felt
  • Scissors
  • White Fabric
  • Tassels
  • Basic Sewing Materials
  • Microsoft Word
  • Microsoft Paint

Step One: Creating your Monogram



 Open a new word Document. Go to the View tab and select the ruler and grid-lines.

 Go to the insert tab and select word art. Type your first initial and middle initial.

 Drag the word-art box so that all the corners match up with the corners of the grid-lines and align the text to the center.

 Change the text size 180. I also changed the font to Bebas. Put a good amount of space between the two letter using the tab button.

 Add a new text box, type the initial of your last name, and align the text box with the gird lines again, and make the text size 280.

Remove the grid lines and zoom into text. Take a screen shot.

 Open paint, and paste your screen shot onto the canvas.

 Crop your picture down and save.

 Open a new word file, make the orientation landscape, and insert your saved image.

Make the image as big or as small as you want it to be. I suggest very big for your pillow. You might need to print out each letter on its own page. Just be careful and make sure your letter ratios stay the same.

Step Two: Making the letters

 Cut out your letters to create a pattern.

 Tap your cutouts on the felt.


And.. cut out your letters!

Step Two: Creating your pillow

I wanted my pillow to be 12 x 12, so I cut three pieces of fabric, one piece 14x14, and two pieces 14 x12.  I used white because It matches my duvet cover, but I think it would look cool with a pattern as well. That's the great thing about DIY, you can really do whatever you want.

Then, I ironed my fabric and centered my letterers on the  piece of 14x14 fabric and pinned them down so they wouldn't fidget and become unaligned.

Next, I sewed the letters onto the piece of 14 x14 fabric using black thread, and then sewed the tassels in.

For the two 14x12 pieces, first fold the fabric approximately 1/2 inch along the long side of the fabric, then fold it over again and pin it. Next, sew the hem. 

 Then, pin the two 14x12 pieces, inside out, to the 14x14  piece. Double check that the seam of the two back pieces overlap in about the middle of the pillow, and that all of your tassels are placed on the outside of your fabric. Sew around the outer seam with a ½" seam gap.

Finally, turn your throw right side out and insert you pillow!

 (I do not have my Pillow Insert yet, so here is my almost finished product.)

Can't wait to see what Lauren has planned for next week. Good luck on your upcoming move-in day!

P.S.- I leave for College a exactly week from today!





No comments:

Post a Comment