Sunday, April 7, 2019

Iron Throne Cake



Helloooooo! It has been a while since any of us posted, but this one was too good not to share. My cousin (and fellow GoT fan) celebrated her birthday a couple of days ago, and I made her a cake that was fit for any ruler of Westeros. I didn't take any pictures of the process because I was so afraid of messing up the whole time, BUT I will explain what I did so y'all can try it out.

Supplies for Iron Throne: 


  • Styrofoam
  • Polymer clay
  • Hot glue gun
  • Hot glue sticks
  • 100 plastic appetizer swords (I got mine from Party City...color doesn't matter because they will be painted)
  • Wire cutters
  • Black spray paint
  • Metallic silver paint
  • Metallic gold paint (optional)
Supplies for Cake:
  • 2 boxes cake mix (I used yellow and red velvet cake)
  • 2 containers frosting (chocolate/ cream cheese)
  • White chocolate melts
  • Black food color
  • Edible glitter (optional)
Directions:
First I cut the styrofoam into a curved back, two rectangle sides, and two squares (stacked on top of each other for the seat) and glued them all together. Next I rolled out the clay into a thin sheet and cut into ~1/4 in wide strips with pointed ends. Lay these strips over the base of the throne where you need curved "swords." I then preheated the oven to 200 degrees and then turned it OFF before placing the seat in the oven. [I made a mini throne to use as a guinea pig before working with the actual throne and the styrofoam partially melted in the oven, so make sure it is off but still warm.] I left it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes and then let it cool before beginning the next step.

Next, you will use the wire cutters to trip the hilts off of the swords. This process is fairly tedious but it will make the throne look more authentic in the end! I also trimmed the entire handle off of the swords that stick straight up from the top of the throne. I punched a hole in the styrofoam with the swords, filled the whole with hot glue, and placed the swords back into the holes. I had 3 layers of swords at the top with the middle layer being the tallest. For the rest of the swords you have to use some imagination in filling all the gaps, but remember the actual throne isn't perfect so you can basically put swords anywhere. I started from the top and glued the swords facing downwards for the front and back. To fill gaps, you can use handles that were trimmed for the swords on top. You will also need to trim swords to fit certain areas. THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE. 

Once all the swords are glued on, you need to spray paint the entire throne black and let dry. Once that is done, dry brush the metallic paint onto the swords (just use a TINY bit of paint at a time). This will give the swords an antique iron look. I also used a very small amount of gold paint on the handles of the swords to make them look worn. And VOILA!

For the cake, just prepare according to the box directions. I used red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for the bottom and yellow cake with chocolate frosting for the top. The bottom cake is one layer and the top is two layers. For the frosting, I just frosted both cakes without dying the frosting at first. I had an incident a couple years ago where I tried to dye frosting black and added TOO much black dye and it stained my friends' mouths black (sorry Clint!), so this time I purchased a black sprayable food dye (from Michaels) which worked perfectly! For the bottom I did an ombre by piping frosting in a single line around the cake, adding a little bit of dye, piping again, and repeat. I then smoothed it out with a bench scraper before piping the text onto the side. I also piped some black frosting around the base of the top layer and added edible glitter on top. 

For the stark logos, I printed them out 2" high and covered the paper with parchment paper. Then I melted the white chocolate, put in a piping bag with a size 1 tip, and traced the pattern. I put these in the freezer for about 5 minutes before placing them on the sides. 

*NOTE: be carefull when lighting the candles because one of them caught a sword on fire and the bottom ones started melting the chocolate sigils!!*

Here was the end result! 

The new season of GoT is a week from today!! Let us know how you all are celebrating in the comments! Valar Morghulis!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment